Workplace disputes can be very costly and time consuming for management. They can also have a negative effect on employee relations and on the wider organisation. Typical workplace disputes might include:
- Disputes between employees
- Disputes between an employee and a manager
- Bullying and harassment cases
- Issues relating to sickness and absenteeism
- Equal pay disputes
Resolving the dispute in a timely way can be very beneficial for all concerned helping to alleviate the following concerns;
- Reduced staff morale
- Increased stress for managers and staff leading to worsening sickness absence levels.
- A decrease in productivity
- Damage an organisation’s reputation
- Loss of talent and related recruitment costs
- Deflection of management time away from business priorities
- Development of a blame culture
- Escalation to Employment Tribunal claims
Savings in management time and productivity, fewer escalating disputes and the positive effect this can have on employee relations makes mediation a truly worthwhile intervention.